Business

Russia launches Christmas Day attack on Ukraine’s energy system

1 Mins read

Stay informed with free updates

Russia has carried out a Christmas Day attack on Ukraine’s energy system, leaving more than half a million consumers without heating, water and electricity. 

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said the attack, the 13th large-scale assault of 2024 on the country’s grid, was “deliberate” and not a coincidence. “What could be more inhuman?” he wrote on X.

About 50 of the 70 missiles fired in the attack were intercepted, along with a “significant” portion of the more than 100 attack drones deployed, Zelenskyy added.

This year Ukrainians marked Christmas Day on December 25 for the second time, after switching to the western Gregorian calendar last year. The decision to stop celebrating Christmas on January 7 in line with the Orthodox calendar was made by Kyiv to break with Russian influence.

Oleh Syniehubov, governor of Ukraine’s eastern Kharkiv region, told Ukraine’s national TV news that the attack had left more than half a million consumers without heating, water and electricity.

Temperatures across Ukraine are around freezing point.

Heating supplies were also cut in some areas of Ukraine’s Ivano-Frankivsk and Dnipropetrovsk regions, in the west and south of the country. 

Ukraine’s energy grid operator, Ukrenergo, urged consumers to limit consumption by not switching on multiple appliances at once, adding that the system was still recovering from the previous Russian attack on December 13.

Ukraine’s largest private energy company, DTEK, said that its power stations had been damaged and one of its long-term employees killed.

Ukraine’s foreign minister, Andriy Sybiha, said on X that the attack reflects Russian president Vladimir Putin’s response to “those who spoke about illusionary ‘Christmas ceasefire’.”

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán said last week that Zelenskyy had rejected his proposal for a ceasefire and prisoner exchange on Orthodox Christmas, January 7.

Ukraine denied that such a proposal was ever on the table, asking Hungary to “refrain from manipulations” regarding the war. On Friday, Heorhii Tykhyi, spokesperson for Ukraine’s Foreign Ministry, described it as “PR, a move” by Orbán.

Read the full article here

Related posts
Business

Oil slides as Opec+ lifts output and tariffs spark global growth fears

2 Mins read
Stay informed with free updates Simply sign up to the Oil myFT Digest — delivered directly to your inbox. Oil prices tumbled…
Business

Elon Musk’s role in Trump administration under pressure after Wisconsin loss

4 Mins read
Elon Musk’s prominent role in the Trump administration was in fresh jeopardy on Wednesday, after the billionaire’s unpopularity was seized upon by…
Business

US says it will seek death penalty for Luigi Mangione in UnitedHealthcare killing

2 Mins read
Unlock the White House Watch newsletter for free Your guide to what the 2024 US election means for Washington and the world…
Get The Latest News

Subscribe to get the top fintech and
finance news and updates.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *